When it comes to washing your hands, all hand soaps are not created equal. Some hand soaps contain lovely fragrances but don’t do much for killing germs and bacteria. Others will kill anything and everything on your hands but rely on a host of chemical ingredients to do it.
If you have sensitive skin, choosing the wrong soap could leave your skin dry and irritated, if not worse. Finding the right hand soap that will kill germs without irritating your skin can be challenge but we’re here to help you. Read on to learn what to look for in soap for sensitive skin and to see our recommendations.
Do You Have Sensitive Skin?
Terms like “sensitive skin” are thrown around a lot in the beauty industry, but what does it actually mean? Sensitive is less a specific type of skin and more of a description. The most common skin types are classified as dry, oily, combination, and normal.
Dry skin doesn’t create as much sebum or oil as normal skin which makes it more prone to dryness. Oily skin, on the other hand, over-produces sebum which can clog your pores and harbor acne-causing bacteria. People with combination skin have some areas of skin that are dry and others oily, or their skin changes depending on the season. Normal skin is neither too oily nor too dry.
Sensitive skin can fall under dry, oily, combination, and normal skin categories. It’s more prone to irritation and inflammation, especially triggered by skincare and personal care products that contain alcohol, fragrance, and certain other ingredients. If you have sensitive skin, you may notice that you’re more prone to flushing, rashes, and dryness. You may also find that certain beauty or scented products sting or burn your skin.
Many of these triggers apply more to the skin on your face than anywhere else, but if your face is sensitive there’s a good chance that the skin on your hands is as well. When shopping for hand soap, it’s important to find something that will cleanse and disinfect without irritating your skin.
What to Look for in Soap for Sensitive Skin
The CDC considers hand washing a “do-it-yourself vaccine” because it has the power to significantly reduce your risk of spreading and contracting disease. When it comes to washing your hands, however, you need to be mindful of the products you use to do it. Many commercial soaps contain potentially toxic ingredients due to limitations in federal regulations. If you have sensitive skin, ingredients that might not bother someone else could result in serious irritation.
Here are some things to avoid in soap for sensitive skin:
- Artificial fragrances – Most hand soaps contain fragrance, but few manufacturers disclose on the label where those fragrances come from. Synthetic fragrances often contain phthalates which are associated with hormone disruption and birth defects.
- Parabens – A type of preservative used in many personal care products, parabens are toxic to the environment and have been associated with cancer, endocrine disruption, and developmental toxicity.
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) – Used as a surfactant and emulsifier to add sudsing and foaming benefits to soap, SLES is known for irritation of the skin, eyes, and lungs.
- Dioxane – A known eye and respiratory tract irritant, dioxane easily penetrates the skin and is commonly found in cosmetics and personal care products like soap.
These are just a few of the many potentially harmful ingredients found in some common hand soaps and other personal care items. As a consumer, it’s your job to shop smart and know what you’re purchasing. If you’re looking for the best soap for sensitive skin, however, you don’t necessarily need to spend hours reading labels at the drugstore. LAFCO New York offers an assortment of liquid soaps and bar soaps that are perfect for sensitive skin.
Why Consider LAFCO New York Soap?
LAFCO New York bar soaps are made with extra-virgin olive oil and almond oil to deliver superior moisture as well as omega fatty acids to combat dryness and irritation. Every bar is artisanally dry-aged for 4 weeks and quadruple milled to ensure a long-lasting, luxurious experience. LAFCO liquid soap features cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil enriched with wheat proteins for all-day moisture retention. All of LAFCO’s soaps are free from sulfates, parabens, and other synthetic ingredients.
Not only are LAFCO New York soaps made with premium natural ingredients and formulated to soothe, repair, and restore dry skin, but they come in a variety of luxurious fragrances. Scents like Chamomile Lavender, Fresh Cut Gardenia, and Champagne feature refined, perfume-grade fragrances that provide a long-lasting, natural scent without synthetic additives.
Tips for Keeping Your Skin Healthy
Choosing the right hand soap for sensitive skin is one thing, but there are other simple tips you can keep in mind to keep your skin healthy and happy. First and foremost, we recommend that you give LAFCO liquid soap or bar soap a try. Made with all-natural, plant-based ingredients in hypoallergenic formulas, LAFCO soap is perfect for those with sensitive skin and comes in a variety of luxurious fragrances.
Tips To Keep Your Sensitive Skin At Bay
In addition to using a soap made with natural ingredients and fragrances, here are some additional tips to keep your sensitive skin healthy:
- Wash your hands as needed but avoid over-washing – washing more than six times a day may dry out your skin and make you more susceptible to reactions.
- Make sure the water isn’t too hot when you wash your hands – it should be warm but not to the point of scalding as this can damage and dry out your skin.
- Don’t rub your hands too hard when drying them after washing – it’s better to gently blot with a paper towel than to use a high-heat hand dryer.
- Moisturize your hands after washing while the skin is still damp to prevent moisture loss and to prevent that dry, itchy feeling.
- Give your hands a paraffin treatment once a week to deeply hydrate and protect sensitive skin.
- Treat your hands to a moisturizing overnight treatment every once in a while – apply a thick layer of moisturizer and slip on a pair of cotton gloves before going to bed.
When it comes to choosing the right hand soap for sensitive skin, you want to find the perfect balance between cleansing and moisturizing ingredients. LAFCO New York offers a variety of luxurious bar soaps and hand soaps made with plant-based ingredients that are free from parabens, sulfates, and other synthetic ingredients. Use the Fragrance Finder to be paired with your perfect fragrance today.