Whether you’re trying to cover up your own pet’s odor or you simply appreciate a good fragrance, you may be wondering whether it’s safe to burn scented candles in a home with cats or dogs. The answer isn’t a simple yes or no.
Here’s what you need to know about using scented candles in a household with pets. You’ll also see our top picks for the best LAFCO fragrances for pet lovers.
Are Scented Candles Safe for Pets?
As a pet owner, you probably think of your pet as more than just another resident of your household – they’re your fur baby, an extension of your family. The last thing you want to do is bring something into the house that could harm them. Unfortunately, danger hides in some of the most unexpected places. Something as seemingly harmless as a cheap scented candle could actually be toxic for your pet.
When it comes to the dangers of scented candles for pets, obvious things come to mind like the potential for a tail to knock a lit candle off the table. While this is certainly a risk, the true danger lies in the ingredients in the candle. Synthetic fragrances and other chemical ingredients can become airborne when the candle is burned, putting your pet at risk for respiratory conditions, endocrine system disruption, even cancer. Even if no harm comes from it, pets can also be sensitive to highly concentrated fragrance.
The Top Pet-Friendly LAFCO Fragrances
View this post on Instagram
Your pet’s safety is always a priority, so choose a product made with premium natural ingredients designed as much for safety as for quality. LAFCO fragranced candles are made with solid soy wax, natural essential oil-based fragrances, and 100% cotton wicks. Available in several sizes and dozens of fragrances, LAFCO is the perfect pick for pet owners who want to enjoy quality fragrance.
Here are the best pet-friendly fragrances from LAFCO:
- Lavender Amber – For a subtle scent that warms the heart, try this combination of French lavender, vanilla, and fern. Notes of rosemary and musk add depth before a hint of amber brings the scent to its warming finish.
- Sea & Dune – Breathe a fresh breath of sea air with this light summery scent. Top notes of lemon and coastal lily hover over a heart of blue lotus and beach grass before settling into a base of warm sand, amber, and ginger.
- Mint Tisane – Brighten up your home with a burse of fresh fragrance. Notes of fresh citrus sparkle over a blend of mint, sweet basil, and eucalyptus before giving way to warm undertones of ginger and clove.
- Chamomile Lavender – This soothing scent creates a subtle layer of lavender and warm bergamot that fades into a heart of calming chamomile and eucalyptus. Notes of rosemary, sage, and patchouli give it a relaxing finish.
- Blush Rose – A lightly floral fragrance, this candle features damask and May roses with a hint of crisp bergamot and pink pepper. You’ll feel like you just walked in to a room full of fresh flowers.
If you’re not sure how your pet will react to a scented candle, you may want to start small with a 1.9oz. votive or a 4oz. travel size. Create your own Discovery Trio with sample sizes of three premium LAFCO fragrances for just $16. Best of all, your order ships free and you’ll receive a code to receive $16 off your next full-sized order if you choose to upgrade.
Tips for Burning Candles Safely
A single flame in a small candle might not seem like much of a hazard, but pets can get into a surprising amount of trouble and it’s your job as a responsible pet owner to keep your pet safe. There’s nothing wrong with burning candles, but you should make sure you do it safety.
Here are some simple candle safety tips for households with pets:
- Never leave a burning candle unattended, even for a moment. Most importantly, keep all candles out of your pet’s reach whether they are lit or unlit.
- Choose candles that come in sturdy containers that won’t be easily knocked over. All LAFCO candles come in handblown glass vessels in sizes up to 30 ounces.
- Make sure to burn the candle in a well-ventilated room. Without adequate airflow, the fragrance could become concentrated and might irritate your pet’s respiratory system.
- Avoid candles made with a high concentration of paraffin wax – it releases carcinogens when burned which can be dangerous for pets. All LAFCO candles are made with solid soy wax and just a touch of paraffin to enhance fragrance delivery. Learn more about our Pure Promise here.
- Choose light fragrances if you have pets in the home – strong fragrances can be overwhelming for animals with strong noses, particularly for cats.
When you choose LAFCO products, you’re choosing high-quality essential oil-based fragrance with premium natural ingredients. To get the best experience from your LAFCO candle, trim the wick before each use and allow the max to melt all the way across the surface before extinguishing to prevent tunneling.