When you climb into bed at the end of the day, how do you feel? Do you feel like you accomplished everything you meant to, and you’re satisfied with the day’s work? Or do you feel exhausted, like you didn’t get enough done, and tomorrow is going to be another busy, taxing day?
Life is stressful, there’s no avoiding it. As true as that may be, however, we often make things worse by taking on too many responsibilities and overburdening ourselves with unrealistic expectations. We are only human after all, and the human body can only be pushed so far. Unless you take time to relax and let loose, your stress may become unmanageable and you’ll eventually break down.
National Relaxation Day is August 15th and it is the perfect time to slow down and take a break from the stress of your daily life. Read on to learn the importance of taking time to unwind and to see our simple tips for at-home stress relief with the help of LAFCO fragranced products.
The Importance of Relaxation
The Mayo Clinic suggests relaxation is a process that decreases the effects of stress on your mind and body. Stress is a part of everyday life and you’ve learned to deal with it. As strong and determined as you may be, however, that stress accumulates over time and can eventually come to affect your mental, emotional, and physical health in negative ways. Chronic stress has been linked to everything from high blood pressure and heart disease to type II diabetes and depression.
Relaxation is a state in which you feel calm and better able to manage daily life. Simply by taking the time to give yourself a break, both mentally and physically, you can release some of your pent-up stress and anxiety. Relaxation has numerous health benefits including reducing heart rate and blood pressure, relieving muscle tension and chronic pain, improving mood and concentration, reducing fatigue, and improving digestion and nutrient absorption.
10 Ways to Relax and Unwind
There’s no formula for relaxation because everyone likes to unwind differently. For some people, the most relaxing activity is going for a walk in the woods while others find a warm bath more soothing. The thing is you may not know what most relaxes you until you try a few different things. In the end, it matters less what you do and more how you feel.
Here are some ideas to help you relax, unwind, and alleviate stress:
- Spend some time seated in a comfortable chair in a quiet room and practice autogenic relaxation. Picture a peaceful setting and control your breathing as you relax your muscles one by one.
- Place a fragranced candle in your office or the room in your home where you spend most of your time. Choose a calming fragrance like Vetiver Sage to balance your mood and relax your senses. You can even keep a collection of candles on hand for different moods.
- Indulge in a full-body massage at a local spa. In addition to being extremely relaxing, massage helps boost circulation, reduce muscle tension, increase joint mobility, and reduce the production of stress hormones.
- Fragrance your home or office with a LAFCO chamomile lavender reed diffuser. The calming scent of lavender paired with the enveloping warmth of bergamot will pervade the space, giving you a subtle feeling of wellbeing.
- Incorporate meditation into your daily routine. Spend 10 or 15 minutes each morning sitting quietly, focusing on your breathing, on your surroundings, or on a specific word or object. There’s no right or wrong way to meditate, so find a technique that works for you.
- Soak in a hot bath with Epsom salt and a drizzle of lavender essential oil. Light a LAFCO Spike Lavender candle and breathe in the relaxing scent as your stress drifts away.
- Go for a walk somewhere peaceful and quiet. Make an effort to focus on the scenery around you instead of letting your mind wander back toward sources of stress and worry.
- When you start to feel overwhelmed, spritz the room with LAFCO Feu de Bois room mist and breathe in the tranquil and comforting fragrance of sandalwood, frankincense, and vanilla. Keep it in your purse or work bag so you always have it when you need it.
- Spend thirty minutes reading a good book. Choose something that takes your mind to another place, like a fantasy novel, to give yourself a mental break as well as a physical break. If you don’t like to read, go for a walk and listen to an audio book or podcast.
- Take a moment for a little self-care. Sit back in your favorite chair, smooth on some hydrating LAFCO hand cream, and close your eyes while breathing in the fresh fragrance. Focus on the scent, allowing your worries to float quietly away.
If you have trouble letting go of your stress and anxiety, the right fragrance could be what’s missing from the equation. Fragrance has the power to transform your mood and your mindset – the right fragrance might be just what you need to make your time off more relaxing.
Explore the world of LAFCO fragrance to find your perfect match. Try a Discovery Trio sample set to test three different fragrances for just $16 then load up on your favorites with larger scented candles, room mists, bar soaps, reed diffusers, and more.