There’s nothing more soothing than the gentle flicker of a candle burning on the mantle. Unfortunately, for people with allergies or other sensitivities, scented candles can trigger unpleasant reactions like headache, sneezing, coughing, and even nausea. In many cases, these symptoms are related to the use of poor-quality ingredients and chemicals. For some, however, even a strong scent can be irritating.
If you’ve been hesitant to try LAFCO fragranced candles out of a fear of overpowering scent, there’s good news. Not only are LAFCO candles made with premium natural ingredients including solid soy wax and 100% cotton wicks, but there are a number of light, natural fragrances to choose from.
Here’s what you need to know about choosing scented candles that won’t trigger a negative reaction along with our recommendations for the top LAFCO fragrances for sensitive noses.
Tips for Choosing Scented Candles
When shopping for candles, the first thing most people do is lift the candle to their nose to test the scent. If you’ve ever walked into a candle shop and been hit by a wall of fragrance, even the thought of testing all those candles could be overwhelming. Before you even think about fragrance, start with the foundation: the ingredients from which the candle is made.
You always want to look for a company that uses natural ingredients like soy wax rather than wax derived from palm oil. Check for cotton wicks and avoid anything that contains parabens, phthalates, or dyes. It’s particularly important to check the source of the fragrance itself. This is key because essential oil-based fragrances are less likely to irritate sensitive noses than artificial fragrances.
Once you’ve narrowed down the options, it’s finally time to think about fragrance. If you have a sensitive nose, you probably want to steer clear of anything likely to be too strong or perfume-like. Herbal scents like chamomile, lavender, and mint tend to be fairly light. Rose can be a gentle fragrance when it comes from natural rather than synthetic sources, and citrus scents are always a good option for those who prefer fruity smells.
Try These Gentle LAFCO Fragrances
The right fragrance can change the ambience in your home, and it may even help mask unpleasant odors. The good news is it doesn’t take a strong fragrance to make a big difference. All LAFCO fragrances are pure, essential oil-based fragrances and our candles are made with soy wax and 100% cotton wicks.
Here are some of the gentlest fragrances from LAFCO:
- Chamomile Lavender – This soothing fragrance combines the light scent of calming chamomile with floral hints of lavender. You’ll notice bright notes of bergamot with fresh eucalyptus with gentle undertones of patchouli, rosemary, and sage.
- Sea & Dune – Breathe in the fresh scent of the sea air with this light marine fragrance. Fresh lemon and watery blue lotus settle into waves of natural sea grass, accented with warm notes of golden amber and cool sea spray.
- Lavender Amber – A relaxing combination of French lavender, vanilla, and fern, this fragrance sets the stage for serenity. Enjoy this gentle fragrance in the 6.5-ounce Classic or 15.5-ounce Signature size candle.
- Mint Tisane – This fragrance is an ode to tranquility. A relaxing blend of mint, eucalyptus, and sweet basil is accented by notes of sparking citrus and just a hint of star anise and clove.
- Blush Rose – The delicate scent of damask rose blends seamlessly with crisp bergamot and pink pepper in this floral fragrance. Try this fragrance in the 6.5-ounce Classic or 15.5-ounce Signature size.
Preferences for scent vary greatly. If you’re worried about a fragrance being too strong, there’s no reason you can’t purchase a trial-size before committing to a full-size product. With a LAFCO Discovery Trio, you can try a sample of three different fragrances for just $16 (free shipping included!). You’ll also be emailed a $16 off coupon code, which can be used to purchase your preferred full-size product later.