Finding the perfect fragrance that fits your home is no easy task and, once you do, you may not be willing to try something new. By sticking to a single scent, however, you’re limiting yourself and you could be missing out on a unique experience. Even if you aren’t ready to swap out your signature scent, you may want to consider adding a second complementary fragrance to the lineup.
Combining scented candles and reed diffusers enables you to layer fragrance in a way that creates an entirely new experience. But layering fragrance isn’t as simple as just lighting two scented candles. Some fragrances are more powerful than others and some clash when combined. Here’s what you need to know about layering fragrances in your home as well as some of our favorite fragrance pairings.
Tips for Layering Fragrance in Your Home
View this post on Instagram
If you’re new to home fragrance, you may find yourself sticking to a single scent category. Citrus scents like orange, lemon, and grapefruit go well together but there’s a whole world of fragrance out there that can complement your favorite fragrances. Layering fragrance involves finding scents that, though different, work well together. Adding a complementary scent can take your favorite fragrances to the next level. All you have to do is find the right combination.
Here are a couple of fragrance layering tips to keep in mind:
- Floral fragrances work well with citrus and woody notes as well as other florals. To avoid an overpowering floral scent, however, try to pair a single heady floral with lighter floral fragrances.
- Complement gourmand fragrances like caramel, vanilla, and almond with spicy fragrances like ginger, black pepper, or cinnamon.
- Use fragrance to complement natural scents in your home. For example, when you bring home a Christmas tree, use woody or citrus notes to complement the natural green fragrance.
- Create a warm, relaxing ambiance by layering amber with vanilla and woody fragrances. These fragrances are perfect for the bedroom or for a relaxing evening spent at home.
- When in doubt, layer vanilla fragrances with other vanilla fragrances. Just be sure to avoid artificial vanilla scent because it can be overwhelming and headache-inducing.
- Blend floral fragrances with sweet notes like vanilla or chocolate. Just be careful not to choose fragrances that are too strong, or it could become overwhelming.
When it comes to fragrance layering, the possibilities are endless. Not only can you create a unique fragrance profile by combining different scents, but you can pair different fragrance mediums as well. Reed diffusers, for example, provide long-lasting fragrance that creates the perfect backdrop for layering with a scented candle. You can even keep a few complementary scented candles on hand and choose which to pair with your reed diffuser depending on your mood or the ambiance you want to create.
Try These 6 LAFCO Fragrance Pairings
View this post on Instagram
What’s better than a pure, essential-oil based fragrance? Two of them. By using both a reed diffuser and a scented candle in the same room, you can achieve a new depth of fragrance and create a unique ambiance. The key to finding the perfect pair of fragrances is learning to layer complementary scents. Using the tips above, you can create your own fragrance pairings or try some of our suggestions below.
Here are 6 fragrance pairings to try in your home:
- Cilantro Orange + Fresh Cut Gardenia – Bright notes of citrus are perfectly balanced with the floral fragrance of fresh cut gardenia in this pairing. The 15.5-ounce Signature Cilantro Orange candle is bursting with fresh fragrance ideal for the kitchen while the Fresh Cut Gardenia reed diffuser provides a delicately floral complement.
- White Maple Bourbon + Vetiver Sage – Delicious gourmand fragrances like maple, vanilla, and bourbon pair perfectly with spicy notes of pepper in this pairing. Presented in a sparkling art glass vessel, this White Maple Bourbon fragranced candle is a great complement to the 15-ounce Vetiver Sage reed diffuser.
- Amber Black Vanilla + Duchess Peony – Powerful without being overpowering, this fragrance combination is unique and intriguing. The warm and woody fragrance of Amber Black Vanilla is uplifted by the floral fragrance of Duchess Peony in this pairing.
- Marine + Forest Oakmoss – Surround yourself with the scent of nature with this Marine and Forest Oakmoss pairing. Accented with bright notes of bergamot and jasmine, the crisp scent of marine air blends perfectly with the verdant fragrance of oakmoss.
- Star Magnolia + Chamomile Lavender – Brighten any room in your home with this combination of floral fragrances. Star Magnolia is balanced with notes of jasmine, neroli, and bamboo while bergamot and chamomile add depth to the floral fragrance of fresh lavender.
- Feu de Bois + Amber – This soothing combination of warm amber and woody fragrances is perfect for the reading room or home office. Feu de Bois features notes of sandalwood, leather accord, and frankincense which perfectly complements the scent of golden amber.
If you’re not ready to commit to a full-size reed diffuser or fragranced candle pairing, do a test run with sample-sized fragrances using the LAFCO Discovery Trio. Enjoy three sample-sized scented candles for just $16 (free shipping included) and get $16 off your next full-sized purchase.