Nothing transforms a room like a wonderful fragrance. The zest scent of white grapefruit can awaken the senses, breathing life into a tired space. Herbal fragrances like lavender casts a gentle calm, turning any room into a soothing oasis. LAFCO harnesses natural essential-oil based fragrances in unique combinations to create the perfect ambiance for your home.
Every LAFCO candle comes in a handblown artisan glass vessel. In addition to highlighting the beauty of your fragranced candle, these lovely vessels are ideal for repurposing. If you’re looking for the perfect springtime craft, pair your repurposed candle vessel with the free basil seeds LAFCO is giving away with every candle purchase in April, while supplies lasts, in celebration of Earth Day.
Free Basil Seeds in Honor of Earth Day
First celebrated in 1970, Earth Day is an annual holiday celebrated around the world on April 22nd. More than 190 countries celebrate Earth Week with an entire week of events and activities focused on current environmental issues like climate change and habitat destruction.
In 2016, the Paris Agreement was signed by the United States, China, and over 120 other countries which satisfied a requirement of the climate protection treaty adopted the previous year. In 2017, the March for Science happened on Earth Day followed by the People’s Climate Mobilization at the end of the week. In 2019, all 50 United States held cleanups for the inaugural nationwide Earth Day Cleanup.
In celebration of Earth Day 2020, LAFCO is giving way a free packet of basil seeds with every purchase during the month of April. Starting an herb garden is the perfect way to bring the beauty of Mother Earth into your home for your family to enjoy.
How to Grow Basil in Your Repurposed Vessel
As the summer snow melts away and spring peaks its head around the corner, the world becomes fresh with new growth. Spring is the perfect time to start planning your summer garden but it’s also a great time to get things started indoors. Herbs grow perfectly well in containers and growing them indoors keeps them close by for home cooking.
Here’s how to grow basil in your repurposed LAFCO glass vessel:
- Once your LAFCO fragranced candle has burned out, let it cool then place it in the freezer overnight to harden the remaining wax.
- Use a butter knife to scrape out the wax, being careful not to crack or break the glass.
- Soak the vessel in hot water for a few hours to remove any remaining traces of wax – it should solidify at the top of the vessel as the water cools.
- Remove the solidified wax from the top then wash the vessel with soap and water.
- Once the vessel is dry, add a layer of small rocks or gravel – this will keep the roots from getting too wet because there won’t be holes for drainage.
- Fill the vessel with high-quality potting mix to about 1 inch below the rim of the vessel.
- Plant two or three basil seeds about ¼-inch deep in the middle of the jar – don’t cover them too deeply or they won’t germinate.
- Lightly water the seeds and place the vessel in a sunny location – it may take 5 to 10 days for them to germinate.
- As your basil grows, keep the soil moist but not wet and start to harvest the leaves once the plant reaches 6 to 8 inches tall.
Basil is one of the many fresh and fragrant herbs you can grow at home. Take your collection of LAFCO candle vessels and start your own little indoor herb garden. When warmer weather hits, you can transplant them outdoors or keep the container garden going all summer long.
The Benefits of Growing Basil at Home
A leafy green herb and a member of the mint family, basil comes in several different varieties including sweet basil, Thai basil, and cinnamon basil. Fresh basil is a wonderful addition to soups, salads, and sauces or as a topping for a homemade margherita pizza. The dried spice adds flavor to traditional Italian dishes and other Mediterranean cuisine – everything from pesto to wedding soup.
In addition to being a flavorful and aromatic addition to all of your favorite dishes, fresh basil offers a wide variety of health benefits.
Here are some of the health benefits associated with basil:
- It is rich in antioxidants which help protect your cells from free radical damage and boost the disease-fighting power of white blood cells.
- Basil is a natural source of the anti-inflammatory eugenol which may help balance pH and improve digestion.
- It is a powerful adaptogen which helps fight stress by stimulating the neurotransmitters responsible for mood and happiness.
- Basil may help with diabetes management by reducing triglyceride and cholesterol levels in addition to slowing the release of sugar into the blood.
- It offers natural detoxifying properties which may help support the liver, the center of the body’s natural detoxification system.
Repurposing your LAFCO candle vessel to grow fresh basil is the perfect way to start your home garden, and you’ll already have most of what you need. Spread the fragrance of herbs throughout the rest of your home with LAFCO scented candles in herbal fragrances like Mint Tisane and Rosemary Eucalyptus. Use the Fragrance Finder to choose the ideal herbal fragrance for your home.