Though some celebrate Halloween for just a few hours every October 31st, others enjoy an entire month of holiday festivities. Whether you’re turning your home into a haunted house or setting the stage for trick-or-treaters, décor is everything. Cobwebs, fake spiders, and pumpkins are a must, but no Halloween scene would be complete without candles.
Make this spooky season the best one yet with creative Halloween decorations and LAFCO fragranced candles in sweet, woody, and fall-friendly scents.
Halloween Candle Safety
From costumes to candy, Halloween is meant to be fun. Just because you’re having a good time, however, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be safe. When it comes to basic candle safety, there are a few simple things you can do to prevent a Halloween mishap.
Here are some simple candle safety tips:
- Trim the wick to about ¼ inch long before you light the candle – this helps ensure a clean burn and keeps the flame from getting too large.
- Always use a long match or lighter to light the candle to avoid burning yourself.
- Never leave a lit candle unattended – if you’re planning to leave the room, extinguish the candle before you go.
- Make sure your candle is situated on a stable, heat-resistant surface – consider placing it on a tray or coaster to catch any dripping wax.
- Avoid placing a candle too close to furniture, drapery, or other flammable objects.
- Don’t let your candle burn for more than 4 hours at a time – if you let it burn too long, the wick could become unstable.
- Extinguish the candle safely by suffocating the flame with a snuffer – this also helps prevent hot wax from splattering.
Not only should you make an effort to use candles safely but invest in high-quality candles while you’re at it. Cheap candles made from low-quality materials can be unpredictable at best and dangerous at worst. LAFCO fragranced candles are backed by our Pure Promise, made with biodegradable, sustainable materials including soy wax, essential oil-based fragrance, and a 100% cotton wick.
Try These 5 Halloween-Friendly Fragrances
View this post on Instagram
When you think of Halloween, what comes to mind? Maybe you picture a crisp fall day spent wandering the local pumpkin patch or eager little hands digging into bowls full of candy. Whatever Halloween means to you, there’s a LAFCO fragrance to match.
Try one of these sweet or woody fragrances to put you in the spooky spirit:
- Vetiver Sage – With woody undertones and a hint of sweetness, this fragrance is sure to put you in the Halloween spirit. Top notes of white sage, lavender, and black pepper hover over a heart of orris, chamomile, iris, and sage clary before fading into notes of vetiver, patchouli, and amber.
- Champagne – Looking for a fragrance that reminds you of your favorite Halloween treats? This fruity fragrance is sweet as candy, featuring notes of mandarin, raspberry, grapefruit and orange with just a hint of vetiver, verbena, ginger, and rose.
- Amber Black Vanilla – Sweet but somber, this warm fragrance combines bright notes of lemon, orange, and raspberry with deep undertones of amber, patchouli, vanilla, and musk. Presented in a brown art glass vessel, this candle will be right at home among your Halloween décor.
- Big Sky – Presented in a dark handblown glass vessel, this brooding fragrance is perfect for spooky season. Spicy notes of pink peppercorn, clove, and nutmeg settle into a dreamy heart of cognac and artemisia before fading into a lasting impression of amber, patchouli, and sandalwood.
- Lavender Amber – For a pop of purple color and sweet scent, include this fragranced candle in your Halloween lineup. Herbal notes of lavender and rosemary create a warmth that pervades, even as the fragrance fades into a lasting impression of amber and vanilla.
Can’t make up your mind which one to try? The Discovery Trio sample set includes 30 unique fragrance options you can use to create your own trio. Enjoy three sample-sized candles for just $16 (free shipping included) and receive $16 off your next full-sized purchase.
Creative Uses for Halloween Candles
Nothing sets the mood like a scented candle, but fragrance isn’t the only way to create the ultimate Halloween atmosphere. From DIY candle holders to candle chandeliers, there are plenty of creative uses for candles you can experiment with come Halloween.
Here are some fun ideas to get you started:
- Use black thread or fishing line to hang flameless candles from the ceiling to set a spooky scene – they’ll look like they’re floating in midair.
- Create a haunting atmosphere with blood-red candles in glass candle holders – light them a little early so the wax starts to drip, creating a blood-like effect.
- Add dimension to your Halloween scene with tall candelabras – add a little extra scare factor by draping them with fake cobwebs.
- Use flameless candles in your favorite candle holders to create a spooky, flickering effect in your windows or as a backdrop to other Halloween décor.
- Make your own spooky candle holders by wrapping glass jars in black lace – add fake spiders or antique-looking pendants to take them up a notch.
Whether you’re gearing up for an all-out Halloween bash or simply prepping for trick-or-treaters, the right fall fragrance can take things up a notch. Try one of LAFCO’s fall fragrances to set the mood or use the Fragrance Finder to explore our collection to find the perfect fit.