Stress is an unavoidable part of life but just because you can’t avoid stress completely doesn’t mean you can’t escape from it now and then. When you start to feel overwhelmed or you find yourself in a tangle of depression and anxiety, the uplifting scent of bergamot might help you power through.
Bergamot is a citrus essential oil known for its many therapeutic properties. It has a history of use in skin remedies for acne, rashes, and sores as well as medicinal applications for fever, infection, and digestive disorders. Today, bergamot is commonly used in perfumery and it is a popular addition to aromatherapy blends and personal care products.
Read on to learn more about the benefits of this invigorating fragrance and to see how you can enjoy it for yourself with LAFCO fragranced products and gifts.
What is Bergamot?
Bergamot (Citrus bergamia), also known as bergamot orange, is a citrus fruit about the size of an orange. Believed to be a natural hybrid of lemon and bitter orange, bergamot fruit has a yellow-green color similar to a lime that changes as it ripens and a light, citrus scent.
Though you may not be familiar with the name bergamot, you are probably familiar with its flavor. Bergamot is what gives Earl Grey tea its signature flavor and scent – it is also one of the most commonly used ingredients in perfumery. Prized for its complementary benefits, bergamot is often used in combination with other scents to create a bouquet of aromas.
The bergamot essential oil used in perfumery is extracted from the rind of the fruit. It takes about a hundred bergamot oranges to product just three ounces of bergamot essential oil. Because the oil has the potential for skin irritation, it should not be used directly on the skin but mixed with a carrier oil. A more popular application for bergamot oil is aromatherapy.
The Health Benefits of Bergamot Essential Oil
Bergamot essential oil has similar properties to grapefruit essential oil, particularly in aromatherapy applications. It offers antiseptic, antispasmodic, and analgesic benefits. Some practitioners believe it has the potential to induce physiological effects such as a reduction in blood pressure or an increase in serotonin production. Inhaling bergamot essential oil may also help relieve anxiety and depression.
The anxiety- and stress-relieving benefits of bergamot oil come from its a-pinene and limonene content. These compounds are responsible for bergamot’s uplifting, refreshing, and stimulating properties. Inhaling the oil via aromatherapy may boost the metabolism by increasing production of the hormones and fluids that aid both digestion and nutrient absorption. Bergamot essential oil has even been used to relieve constipation by improving digestive regularity.
Bergamot oil offers antispasmodic benefits which may help relieve respiratory issues like chronic cough. Its expectorant and anti-congestive benefits help clear nasal passages and promote easier breathing by loosening mucus. The citrus scent of bergamot also helps eliminate unpleasant odors. Medicinally, bergamot essential oil may help fight infection, speed healing, and balance the skin’s oil production.
Though commonly used as a flavoring agent and complementary fragrance in perfumery, one of bergamot’s most versatile applications is aromatherapy. This citrus scent is popular for use in fragranced candles and various personal care products like soaps and lotions.
Enjoy the Scent of Bergamot with LAFCO
With its light citrus scent and delicate floral notes, bergamot is a versatile fragrance that pairs well with others. Combined with floral fragrances like jasmine, this scent brings to mind the feeling of a fresh spring day. Paired with the soothing scent of cardamom or honey blossom, bergamot adds a hint of brightness to a warming, calming fragrance.
Here are some of the best LAFCO products featuring the scent of bergamot:
- Marine Hand Cream – Wet floral notes of water lily and sea jasmine give way to an undertone of fresh bergamot and jasmine in this luxurious hand cream. Crafted in Italy with only the finest natural ingredients, this cream restores and repairs dry skin, leaving your skin wonderfully soft and lightly fragranced.
- Honey Blossom Candle – Captured in a handblown art glass vessel, this luxurious 15.5-ounce candle delivers the comforting scent of cardamom and bergamot with hints of honey blossom and an undertone of vetiver, oakmoss, and sandalwood.
- Marine Reed Diffuser – Spread the intoxicating scent of bergamot, jasmine, and vetiver throughout your home with this 15-ounce reed diffuser. Crafted with premium-quality fragrance and hand-cut reeds, this reed diffuser is delivered in a luxurious handblown art glass vessel you can reuse for endless enjoyment.
- Terracotta Candle – The uplifting scent of bergamot and geranium wafts over a subtle layer of lemon and grapefruit as this hand-poured candle lights the room. Made with solid soy wax and a cotton wick, this classic 6.5-ounce candle offers a 50-hour burn time.
- Marine Bar Soap – The luminous scent of clean sea air with sparkling hints of bergamot work their magic in this creamy, ultra-hydrating bar soap. This soap cleanses with the ultimate luxury while delivering superior moisture and vital nutrients in a rich, fragrant lather.
Enjoy the uplifting scent of bergamot in a LAFCO fragranced candle or use the Fragrance Finder to search for a complementary fragrance. Consider sharing this therapeutic scent by giving the gift of LAFCO fragrance with a gift certificate, discounted by 10% for a limited time.